Am I a data steward?
Regardless of your formal job title, if you answer yes to one or many of the following questions, you are doing the work of a Data Steward and engaged in data stewardship.
- Do you often find yourself minding the data*?
- Are you the ‘data person’ in your research group, team, department or service?
- Are you the person who develops/implements data processes, databases and workflows within your unit?
- Do you spend a significant portion of your time on data, metadata handling/wrangling, alignment, quality, cleaning and mining?
- Do you administer or provide support for data infrastructure or service?
- Have you reviewed, written or implemented a data management plan?
- Do you provide research data management support, training or implementation as a central service or to a research group or team?
- Are you tasked with data curation, preservation or FAIRification?
- Are you working on Research Data Management policy development or implementation?
*Data can take many formats spreadsheets, databases, text, images, audio, video are just a few examples. In the context of research or a research project data can be defined as the evidence underlying a primary finding or publication.
Dawning Realisation – ‘I am a Data Steward’
Want to get involved?
Sonraí is an emerging network. We need members!
If you are interested learning more and getting involved even if you are not quite sure your are a data steward please get in contact.